Monday, May 11, 2020

A Second Look at Toxic Shock

"Just Another Day" Album picture from Discogs.
     2020, and there are still many mysteries in the Anarcho Punk scene that haven't or won't ever be solved, sadly. After many years of searching, I've failed to find complete versions of Toxic Shock's 2 albums "A Dubious deal" and "Just Another Day." I own the first album but do not have the means to listen or upload to it. Across the comments from the original Toxic Shock post here and others on YouTube and on the Kill Your Pet Puppy blog, it is clear that their shows were unique among the other bands and had a strong impression on those who got the opportunity to see them. Even now over 30 years later members of their audiences still hum the melodies of those live renditions of their work.



     In these comments, those who claimed to have watched them were surprised by their act of singing their opening song "Fences" from within the audience as they walk to the stage. At one point, another comment claimed they both hit a pitch so high it cracked a wine glass. I'm sure the Poison Girls audience was surprised to see a bass and sax duo. I find it surprising that there are no live recorded sets on the internet and barely any pictures. Having played so many gigs with Poison girls you would think there was more of an attempt to preserve their work.

     I've kept in touch with Heather through email and every few years I'll catch up with her. She is still active in music but with a completely difference sound.

A Dubious Deal
     In any case, I have a favor to ask. Does anyone have the music from "A Dubious Deal" and "Just Another Day"? Or any live recordings? After all these years it would be nice to be able to finally hear these albums. I failed in my own search despite owning the former.

4 comments:

  1. here's "just another" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGd7cd8CzTQ

    and something extra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cj-qEYBTg

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the comment 'claim' about the breaking wine glass at the 1 in 12 Club in Bradford! Though it was literally 40 years ago circa 1984 and I was just a 15 year old kid, I can still picture it so clearly, I can even visualise where I was stood and turning to my friend stood next to me and us both being in total shock or should I say toxic shock!
    I would love to know if they remember the gig. Though I must have seen them at least half a dozen times, the other gig I clearly remember is when they supported the Poison Girls on their Big Brother tour. Somewhere out there they may be a dusty u-matic video tape of my young self interviewing the Poison Girls and I know the cameraman filmed both the Toxic Shock and Poison Girls sets as I remember watching them in the editing room. Probably it's long lost!
    Anyway, I appreciate you keeping the Toxic Shock flame alive. I saw hundreds of bands in the 1980s and very few have left an impression but those Toxic Shock gigs definitely did!

    ReplyDelete